Did you know that self-talk creates your self-image which in return can control your real performance? I’ve been into the Human Resource Industry and know precisely how important positive thinking and talking can impact a career. If you’re wondering why you haven’t got that certain job or even promotion or why you are not finding the happiness and peace of mind, then, you have to take a closer look at the one thing that might be holding your back: You!
We all possess a self-esteem cycle, and it is 100% controlled by how we talk to ourselves. Self-talk is the constant conversation that you have with yourself about what consciously and subconsciously happens to you. You constantly judge and interpret your own experience by talking to yourself in either a positive or negative manner.
Let’s relate this to your daily activities, events and projects. If your works or tasks in hand not going the way you had planned, or how you had anticipated, you should not use self-talk statements like the following examples:
– How could I be so stupid?
– There I go again.
– I know I’m not going to get an interview.
– Why do I always …
– It happens every time.
– I just can’t seem to do anything right.
– I wonder if I’m taking on more than I can do?
– This is going to be one of those days.
– What is wrong with me?
– If only I would have …
Do some of these sounds familiar? When was the last time you evaluated how you talk to yourself? Well, we have a special exercise that can help you evaluate your thoughts.
List the negative self-talk statements that you find yourself saying quite often.
Are you surprised at your results? Did discover any harmful or negative comments? Are you ready to repair your negative thinking and turn those statements into positive ones? If you’re committed to think and act better, you now have an assignment to complete. For the next 21 days, deliberately control your self-talk and do NOT allow any negative thoughts or cynical statements, no snide remarks, no sarcasm and no cut-downs, not even in jest. Remember, your subconscious cannot differentiate between the truth and a joke. It accepts literally what you say to yourself or accept from experts. If you slip, and put yourself or somebody down, silently affirm:
“That is not like me … I always find ways to put a positive light on what happens to me as well as others”
Your daily self-talk and visualizations are really nothing more than habits that we have acquired over the years. Unfortunately, they have a definite way of controlling our self-esteem and lives! Controlling your self-talk and your imagination is absolutely necessary in building sound self-esteem. After you have consciously controlled your self-talk for the first 24 hours ask yourself these questions:
Isn’t it enlightening to become aware of how negative your self-talk has become?
Isn’t it amazing how negative the world can be?
List areas where you noticed negative self-talk?
You need to consider the conversation you had, the conversations you heard, the statements you say out loud to yourself, the TV, the new papers and your own subconscious put-downs to yourself.
Did you notice yourself or others actually predicting their day with their self-talk?
Consider statements like:
– “I was up late last night. I bet I won’t have any energy today.”
– “The market is down. I know no one will want me to call them today.”
– “Hiring authorities never listen anyway, why bring it up?”
– “It’s going to be one of those days.”
Benefits of – POSITIVE SELF-TALK
- Helps to Reduce Stress
- Helps to Boost Confidence and Resilience
- Helps Build Better Relationships
Examples of Positive Self-Talk Statements
- I have the power to change my mind.
- Attempting to do this took courage and I am proud of myself for trying.
- Even though it wasn’t the outcome I hoped for, I learned a lot about myself.
- I might still have a way to go, but I am proud of how far I have already come.
- I am capable and strong; I can get through this.
- Tomorrow is a chance to try again, with the lessons learned from today.
- I will give it my all to make this work.
- I can’t control what other people think, say or do. I can only control me.
- This is an opportunity for me to try something new.
Take the next month to positively control where your inner most thoughts are headed.
Learn How to practice positive self-talks and live the life that you have always desired and dreamt of.
NLP helps you to understand the power of SELF-TALK and how effective it is in stating your goals in Positive Outcome Statement and believe me you will automatically feel the transformation beginning to happen.
SO, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ? GET IN TOUCH ……
LIVE IN PEACE, NOT IN PIECES
– PARTHA MITRA
(Certified NLP Practitioner & Life Coach)